Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Remember remember...

I put down my bag in the traveler's dormitory and looked up at her…and I spoke..

Me: You know Yen, I always dreamed of traveling the world, just like you..Like when I….

Yen: You din't dream hard enough.

I didn't protest. They say it is better to shut up and let people assume you're a fool than open your mouth and confirm it. I was talking to someone who realized more than what one can dream of, someone who lives up to the spirit of traveling. I assumed she must have been used to common boring people telling her those same lines. But if you knew Yen, you'd actually understand how much she meant it. She had been dreaming all her life about seeing the world. And that's exactly what she did and has been doing.

And if I knew myself enough, I did dream a lot about traveling to the ends of the world, smoking the actual Cuban cigar, tasting the real French wine, riding my custom designed bike through coastal India and the list is endless. Literally fuckin endless. I didn't want a girlfriend, I didn't dream about lots of money, all I wanted to do was travel. As time brought it's lovely wisdom, I later realized that both money and a girlfriend(a rich one) would have facilitated some of my dreams. Anyways...

As I listened to her stories, all I could think of was one thing. What am I doing stuck in a cubicle? I can blame a few liabilities, which would include my Dad and a few other members in my family for being financially dependent on me, but that's not the point. I am painfully aware of the fact that middle class Indians, in general, are competitive, insecure and filled with excuses for not chasing their passions.

I stand at a point where I have 2 choices: Continue to work hard and dream that I will travel someday(yeah, that someday that may never come) or tell myself fuck it, and pack my bags..I would rather be a happy beggar than a rich sad 40 year old buggar., who has kids to take care of.

Cuz after all, it boils down to what matters most to you. You exist, you enjoy and you die. The soil microbes follow suit. Enjoying seems to be the only favorable part, so make the most of it.

I am itching to take a decision. But I would let this December dictate my destiny…
Remember remember,
the whole of this December…
Hmmm

8 comments:

Doli said...

How true! I feel the same way that sometimes it takes more than courage to just leave everything behind and follow your dreams. Best of luck! Hope December brings what you want

Vicky said...

Thanks...I've seen your comment elsewhere too. Can you please tell me who this is: Doli :)


Cheers,
Vignesh

sailusha said...

lets go to ireland :)

Rohit said...

All the best Macha.... Will wish/pray for you... A moral support to a journey to which the journey is the destination :)
@Syloosh - Papa kehte hain

Afrin said...

Do it! You never know whats waiting for you in Brazil!

Vicky said...

@Sailu: swoo swoooosh and away....call the S gaaru I say :P

@Rohit, Afrin thanks...Af, why just Brazil? are you setting up some hot chick for me? IF so, let me tell you the requirements.
(Offline)

jayan said...

There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there's MasterCard. "A black one, and it makes a swoooosh sound when swyped"

Rifz said...

Machaa, one thing at a time. Here's my dua for you...
InshaAllah You shall conquer the seven seas and continents before you hit 40 and also have a hot, caring and constant companion beside you in those journeys.

May you also be able to make these dreams come true for millions of others like you!

Aameen!